Do you know your pet's age? If you adopted your furry friend, his or her age may be a mystery. Fortunately, a quick look in your pet's mouth can help you narrow down a general age range.View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
We will be closed Wednesday July 4th
in observance of the holiday. We will resume normal business hours Thursday July 5th at 7:30 am.
If you have an emergency, please call the Emergency Vet Clinic at 704-504-9608
Here are a few helpful safety reminders for the holiday
Celebrating the Fourth of July with your Pet
While the Fourth of July is a time for families and celebration, it isn’t always fun for pets. As we enjoy the holiday weekend, let’s remember that a weekend full of backyard BBQ’s and fireworks can be traumatic for our furry family. Many pets become frightened of loud noises, causing them anxiety. In extreme cases, pets left in the backyard may climb or dig to escape if they are left unsupervised. What about that BBQ? Many of our favorite foods can cause serious illness, even in small amounts.
Planning ahead can help make your pet feel safe and keep them comfortable over the holiday weekend.
Enjoying the Afternoon Cookout
Are those big eyes asking for just a nibble of your BBQ?
Any rib or chicken bones can be a choking hazard, become lodged in the throat or puncture the digestive tract. Chicken bones can splinter and smaller sized bones are easily swallowed with little or no chewing. Provide party goers a sealed container or covered trash bin for discarding bones.
Hot dogs can be a great treat in moderation. A hot dog can be swallowed whole and cause choking, so cut them into small pieces. Hot dogs are a high fat food and cause stomach upset if fed in excess. Even hamburger or steak can disrupt the digestive system and cause pancreatitis, which often requires hospitalization.
What about vegetables and fruits?
Carrots, green beans or peas are great snacks in moderation. However, corn on the cob can be swallowed whole and cause an intestinal blockage. Onions have a way of appearing in all kinds of food and are very toxic to cats and dogs. So keep condiments and plate scraps away from pets. Apples, watermelon and blueberries are a great treat - however stay away from grapes and raisins as they can cause kidney damage.
Chocolate and sugar free foods containing Xylitol are extremely toxic for pets. Want to give your pet a treat? Try freezing small pieces of banana and hand feeding as a snack - you can have your dessert and eat it too!
What About Fireworks?
If your pet is a horse or other farm animal, make sure it has clean bedding and is inside a barn or other safe area until the noise subsides
Courtesy of Patterson Veterinary Supply PattersonVet.com